Orchard Hospital was built in 1949 as Biggs-Gridley Memorial Hospital following a pledge drive throughout the Biggs, Gridley and Richvale areas of Butte County, and Live Oak in Sutter County, to provide closer-to-home health care for the region. Construction started even before the City Council approved annexation of the site into the city, which was needed to extend city water lines to the new health care center.
Though a $17,000 federal grant was used to help buy hospital equipment, a combination of local subscribers raised most of the money to build the nonprofit facility. By 1949, the communities of Biggs, Gridley, Live Oak and Richvale had contributed $700,000 for the 30-bed hospital.
Our Hospital has grown from its initial 30 beds to its current 45 beds. It also operates the Family Care Center located at 284 Spruce Street in Gridley. We changed the name of the Hospital to Orchard Hospital in 2013.
We welcome you to Orchard Hospital -- a place where employees, volunteers and physicians collaborate to create an environment of compassion, humanity and care for the community we serve. We are all looking forward to the next sixty years!